This is a very easy Do It Yourself (DIY) hair cream which you can use on your scalp and hair strands as well. The Best thing about it, it is 100% natural and you know for sure what is in because you put them together 🙂
The consistency is great, feels like butter and melts the moment you put it on your skin. It gets absorbed so fast leaving your scalp moisturized and hair soft, silky and shiny.
It has no preservatives and for this reason i recommend not to make too much unless you intend to gift it to friends and or family.
Without further ado let us get to our DIY Hair cream. This will make about 270 grams of cream.
- Shea butter – 60g
- Cocoa butter – 60g
- Coconut oil – 60g
- Olive oil – 30ml
- Almond oil – 30ml
- Argan oil – 15ml
- Jojoba oil – 15ml
A few drops of each. Maximum 5 drops.
- Tea tree
- Litsea cubeba
Items you will need.
- Hand mixer
- Glass bowl
- Another bowl for double melting
- Spatula (The cake one will do)
- Glass jar with a lid
- Put the Shea butter,Cocoabutter and Coconut oil in the glass bowl.
- In the second bowl, put very hot water that can melt the mixture in the glass bowl quickly. Place the glass bowl in the hot water and ensure that no water gets in. This is what i call Double melting 😉 (Its gonna take about 20 minutes)
- Stir now and then so that they mix well as they melt. You will notice that they all have different melting points. Coconut oil melts the fastest, then Shea butter and finally cocoa butter.
- After they have completely melted, remove from the water and add olive oil, jojoba oil, almond oil and argan oil and stir well.
- Using a coaster, put the glass bowl it in the fridge and let it sit for 2-3 hrs. This should make the whole mixture firm but not hard. The consistency should feel like you are pressing on a mattress. Does that make any sense? Lol!
- Take it out and with a hand mixer, beat the heck out until it is buttery like butter cream. Scrape the sides of the bowl in so you can mix them all well.
- Add your essential oils and beat around for like 10 seconds or so.
- Voila! Your cream is ready! Put it in your glass jar and store in room temperature.
Why i chose these ingredients
To begin with, Shea butter, cocoa butter and coconut oils are very common ingredients in the skin and hair care products in Africa and i basically grew up knowing that they are good stuff for the skin, scalp and hair in general.
Earlier on i used the butters and oils independently for different things like hot oil treatments, conditioning and pre poo and then i thought… Hmm why not mix them and have a great cream. And that’s where the DIY Hair cream idea came about. More about the oils here. And butters here.
At first i wanted to try this mixture on my skin so i omitted peppermint oil and tea tree oil because of their intense and irritating effect on the skin, let alone the smell. And after a few times of using the cream on my body and i saw how radiant it felt and looked, i thought i could give it a try with the essential oils for hair growth.
That is when i added Peppermint and Tea tree oils among other essential oils. I have been using this cream for a few years now and i will not be stopping any time. I keep switching up the oils now and then to get a taste of others combinations but this is my very basic mix.
Other optional ingredients
There is a long list of oils and butters that are good for hair growth and to make a good hair and scalp cream, you just need a few butters and oils of your choice.
Apart from the mentioned in this DIY hair cream, here is a short description of some great butters and oils you can use.
Mango butter – Great moisturizer and softens hair. Has great smell as well.
Murumuru butter – Rich in Omegas, locks in moisture and promotes elasticity
Cupuacu butter – Great moisturizer and strengthens hair. Perfect for cold weathers.
Carrot oil – Has beta carotene which protects hair against dullness and promotes general hair health and shine.
Avocado oil – Its ability to penetrate your hair shaft leaves your hair strong and lustrous.
Jamaican black castor oil – It stimulates hair follicles promoting hair growth and thickness.
Babassu oil – Is light and non greasy, soothes irritated scalp and strengthens your hair.
Grape seed oil – Light oil great for conditioning dry hair preventing frizz and split ends.
Sapote oil – Great remedy for dry and itchy scalp. Is light and non greasy and balances sebum production.
Moringa oil – Is a great source of complex vitamins and Omega 3 fatty acids which are beneficial to the hair.
More about these in the upcoming article.
As you can see, there are many possible combinations of DIY hair cream and you are free to try your own combination. You should however have it in mind that some butters like Shea and Cocoa are quite heavy and you might wanna mix them with a good amount of liquid oils to have a good consistency for usage.
In most of my mixtures i have coconut oil because it helps soften the other butters and is well absorbed in the scalp.
The essential oils not only add nutritional value to your cream but also have great scents. I personally love the smell of Litsea Cubeba and lavender. These two are almost always in my DIY hair creams. You can check in your local health food store to see if you can smell them.
To have great healthy hair, you not only need a good hair cream but also eat healthy, drink lots of water and take good care of your hair in general.
I hope you enjoyed the DIY hair cream recipe and i would love to read and try out your combinations on the comments section or you can also contact me with your suggestions.