Many people suffer from thinning hair and are not aware that the solutions are actually within our reach. This could happen on different parts of the head but mostly hairline and the middle part depending on the causes.
As you get older, your hair may also start to lose it`s volume. This may be as a result of many factors that we will mention in this article. Thinning hair is not necessarily linked to health problems but may lead to low self-esteem issues.
There are several options on how to cure thinning hair and in this article, we are gonna get to the nitty-gritties of it all. Thinning hair and hair loss are not really the same as you will see as we move on.
What is thinning hair?
Thinning hair is moderate loss of hair that occurs gradually making parts of your hair on the head look less than other parts. It however doesn’t necessarily cause baldness. It`s more of loss of volume.
Because of the graduality in its occurrence, you can quickly figure out the causes and find the best remedy to cure it.
What causes thinning hair?
At some point as we grow older, some degree of loss of hair volume is normal because naturally some hair follicles stop producing hair and the shafts lose color and get thinner.
This should be gradual. But if it is sudden, you might wanna check out if one of these could be the cause.
There are several causes of thinning hair including ;-
- Genetics – This type of thinning is referred to as Androgenic alopecia. In this case you may lose your hair because you have the thinning hair gene in your DNA. Androgenic alopecia affects both male and females. Before rushing to get treatments or find other causes, look at your lineage. Has anyone else among your family members experienced thinning hair? There you have it.
- Hormones – This affects mostly women especially those in their
reproductive age and Menopause. There are several situations that involve hormonal imbalance including child birth, breastfeeding, discontinuation or change of birth control hormones and menopause.
- Diet – Low consumption of foods rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals like folic acid and iron may cause your hair to thin out.
- Stress – Stress is a common denominator in many health problems including thinning hair. The high production of the stress hormones may destroy the new follicles.
- Chemicals – this includes perms, relaxers, colour treatments and other harsh products.
- Medical situations – You may experience hair thinning if you are on treatment of an autoimmune disease, have skin problems or have a deficiency in your immune system.
How to cure thinning hair
- Improve your diet by eating hair healthy foods rich in protein, like fish, meat and eggs.
- Vitamin Supplements:- These are not a replacement of your daily required intake of vitamins in your diet, rather supplement where you are deficient. The only way you can know what you are malnourished in is to get a blood test from your doctor before randomly buying the supplements. This will save you from wasting money because when you take supplements that your body doesn’t need, your body will not absorb them and thew will just leave like they came with no profit to your body or hair at all. Hair growth supplements include:-Biotin, Folic acid, Omega 3 and 6, Collagen Zinc and Iron.
- Listen to your body. If you rapidly gain weight, have dry skin and hair thins out, it could be a sign of hypothyroidism. Seek medical advice to rule this out first.
- Reduce or rather stop using chemicals like relaxers, chemical hair dyes and Strong holding sprays. Reduction of the use of heat on your hair is also a great help when trying to cure thinning hair.
- Essential oils:- Essential oils are mostly used in aromatherapy and also added to some carrier oils for different skin benefits. Some essential oils like peppermint, rosemary, lavender and thyme added to a carrier oil and massaged to the scalp have been said to increase blood flow in the scalp thus encouraging hair growth. This is based on anecdotal evidence. It won’t hurt to try it out. You will as well benefit with a healthy moisturized scalp.
- Reduce stress by doing activities like taking walks, Yoga, getting enough sleep.
- Live a healthy lifestyle. This just means, eat healthy, drink lots of water and exercise. Hair grows from inside out and you gotta watch what goes in to be pleased with what will be portrayed on the outside.
- Massage your scalp :– Massaging your scalp gently when washing and after oiling your scalp promotes blood circulation to your head which in turn stimulates hair growth.
- Anti-thinning shampoo :- These shampoos are a good addition to your hair products if you intend to deal with thinning hair. They are supposed to add volume over time when used regularly. Most of these shampoos contain vitamins that are good for healthy scalp which promotes healthy hair growth.
- Prescription medication – This should be your last resort when all the other DIY methods didn’t work for you. However, you should consult a trichologist to get a proper diagnosis and treatment plan for your thinning hair problem.
These prescription medication include :-
- Finasteride – This is a man only prescription medication and can have serious side effects on especially pregnant women.
- Corticosteroids – This is normally prescribed if thinning hair or hair loss occurs as a result of inflammation.
- Minoxidil – An over the counter hair loss treatment approved by the US Food and Drug Administration. It comes in liquid or foam form and is applied on the scalp twice a day. Results will start showing after sometime but can take up to about 4 Months to see the complete result.
- Spironolactone – Mostly prescribed to women experiencing hair thinning and loss due to hormonal imbalance
NB: Every medication has it´s side effects. Read the instructions carefully before you start the therapy.
When to see a doctor.
If you notice that you can see your scalp more or your ponytail feels thinner than usual, you should see a trichologist to check up and find out the possible cause of your thinning hair. Only this way you will get a proper diagnosis and prescription.
As you have seen, thinning hair can be reversed or cured depending on the causes. Before spending a lot of money on trying different remedies, i would advise you to get checked by a professional then you will know where to start. In the meantime, you can eat healthy and drink lots of water.
Do you know any other remedies for thinning hair or do you know someone who has experienced thinning hair and tried to cure with the above named remedies? I will be glad to read your experiences in the comment section.
I hope you found some helpful information here and will be glad to read your feedback.